Monday, February 20, 2023

STL #129.3: First Draft of Personal Top 100 Canonical Films

 I'll do the rest in two bigger chunks and then see what I've got.

Chunk A:

  • The Naked Kiss. Certainly great, but needs a rewatch.
  • Near Dark. I enjoyed this on last rewatch. I tend to think badass vamps wrecking house to the accompaniment of John Parr's "Naughty Naughty" ain't enough
  • Night at the Opera. That is an awfully small state room. Mingled in mind with Duck Soup, both of which I should watch again.
  • Night of the Hunter. Yes. 80ish
  • Night of the Living Dead. Yes. 70ish
  • Nights fo Cabiria. Once, but no more. Pending a comprehensive Fellini rewatch that I might never get to, I'll satisfy myself with one on the list.
  • Nosferatu. From a film history perspective, certainly. But I don't want to sit down and watch it. 
  • Nosferatu the Vampire. What if this was the Herzog? Can I have a double feature with Aguirre?
  • Nostalghia. Like Mirror, except a long time ago and I can't remember it.
  • Ong Bok 2. Tony Jaa running up the stairs fighting is a great set piece. Is that enough?
  • Once a Cop. Rewatch. I know I love it but don't quite know what constitutes it! (See also, Drunken Master.) Going with Yes, Madam instead
  • Out of the Past. Rewatch.
  • Out of Sight. Oh, yes. Top 50 to be sure. (I'm rationing my commentary not only to finish but since at some point I'm bound to elaborate on the successful ones.)
  • Parasite. I like it, but no.
  • Pather Pachali. I remember an impressive monsoon.
  • Paths of Glory. No.
  • Perfect Blue. No.
  • Phantasm. BOY! Top 80.
  • Philadelphia Story. Top 50.
  • The Player. Rewatch this and Gosford Park.
  • Pontypool. Good, but no.
  • Princess Bride. I do always watch this when it's on (not that I watch that way). Shouldn't that count?
  • Prospero’s Books. Maybe a whole Peter Greenaway rewatch? After the Fellini.
  • Psycho. Top 50
  • Pulp Fiction. Logically should go on, but weirdly, I don't feel it.
  • Raging Bull. See above
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark. See above.
  • Ran. See above
  • Rashomon. See above. I think I'm feeling the impending pressure of the century mark. 
  • Rear Window. Top 30
  • Roaring 20s. "He used to be a big shot." Certain for list of best gangster movies, but not for the overall.
  • Rope. Top 80
  • Rosemary’s Baby. Top 80
  • Royal Tennebaums. Top 30
  • Rules of the Game. Rewatch

I dropped Last Seduction and Fong Sai Yuk, since I don't see a chance for them, and so:

  1. Godfather
  2. His Girl Friday
  3. Kill Bill
  4. In the Mood for Love
  5. All That Jazz
  6. Lost in Translation
  7. Halloween
  8. Jackie Brown
  9. Manhattan
  10. Carrie
  11. Deep Red
  12. Mandy
  13. Battle Royal
  14. Hard Boiled
  15. Double Indemnity
  16. Don't Look Now
  17. Gimme Shelter
  18. Godfather II
  19. Goodfellas
  20. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  21. Royal Tennenbaums
  22. My Best Friend's Wedding
  23. Annie Hall
  24. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
  25. The Long Goodbye
  26. Eyes Wide Shut
  27. Days of Heaven
  28. Jules and Jim
  29. Jaws
  30. It's a Wonderful Life
  31. My Dinner with Andre
  32. Rear Window.
  33. The Big Lebowski
  34. Big Sleep
  35. Citizen Kane
  36. Dumbo
  37. Alice, Sweet Alice
  38. Elevator to the Gallows
  39. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  40. Almost Famous.
  41. Out of Sight
  42. Philadelphia Story
  43. Psycho
  44. Freaks
  45. Hoop Dreams
  46. Magnolia
  47. I Am a Fugitive...
  48. Cleo from 5 to 7
  49. Meet My in St. Louis
  50. Audition
  51. American Movie
  52. Enter the Dragon
  53. Goodbye Dragon Inn
  54. 8 ½
  55. Fast Times and Ridgemont High
  56. Last Waltz
  57. Love Witch
  58. Female Convict Scorpion
  59. Heat
  60. King Kong
  61. Heathers
  62. It Follows
  63. The Conversation
  64. Night of the Hunter
  65. Blow Out
  66. Barry Lyndon
  67. Chinatown
  68. Children of Men
  69. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
  70. Night of the Living Dead
  71. Faces Places
  72. Bring Me the Head of Alfred Garcia
  73. Amour
  74. Down by Law
  75. Glengarry Glen Ross
  76. Phantasm
  77. Strangers on a Train
  78. Rosemary's Baby
  79. Hannah and Her Sisters
  80. Hud
  81. House of the Devil
  82. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  83. Fanny and Alexander
  84. Bride of Frankenstein
  85. Clueless
  86. Aguirre, Wrath of God
  87. Nosferatu the Vampire. 
  88. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
  89. Grifters
  90. Ms. 45
  91. Princess Bride
I had this weird run I wanted to capture:
  1. Pulp Fiction. Logically should go on, but weirdly, I don't feel it.
  2. Raging Bull. See above
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark. See above.
  4. Ran. See above
  5. Rashomon. See above. I think I'm feeling the impending pressure of the century mark.
Into the final leg, with 9 or 4 spots open

  • Safe. I felt a sense of discovery bringing this to a Literature and Illness seminar. But no.
  • Shogun Assassin. Top 30
  • The Searchers. Iconic. Not for me, ultimately
  • Seventh Seal. One of the earliest art movies I watched on video. But no.
  • The Shining. Top 80.
  • Shoah. It feels stupid to rank this, so maybe I won't.
  • Singing in the Rain. Been awhile, but better than Meet Me in St. Louis,
  • Skinamarink. The newest film on the list, and I have too many doubts.
  • Snake Eyes. The worst movie on this list, but nonetheless a must. It feels like low to mid 90s
  • Some Like It Hot. Recently rewatched it. Good, but not for this list.
  • Starship Troopers. Top 75
  • Star Wars. Nah.
  • Stranger Than Paradise. DbL instead
  • Strangers on a Train. Better than Rope? Yes.
  • Stop Making Sense. Nah.
  • Sullivan’s Travels. Everyone should see this.
  • Sunset Boulevard. Nah
  • Suspiria. Does Argento get two slots? Would the second be this or Crystal Plummage?
  • Sweet Smell of Success. Really, really good. But still, no.
  • Switchblade Sisters. Need to rewatch.
  • Taking of Pellham 123. Really like it. Maybe around 100 but probably bubbling under.
  • Tampopo. Good but no.
  • Taxi Driver. Number 72.
  • Team America World Police. Upper 80s.
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Top 10
  • The Thin Man. Sentimental favorite. Not great, but upper 90s maybe.
  • The Third Man. 40s.
  • This Is Spinal Tap. 79.
  • Touch of Evil. Really good, but not alongside Kane and Third Man
  • Unforgiven. Yeah, probably.
  • Usual Suspects. No, probably not.
  • Vanishing Point. Ugh. Really good, but is there room?
  • Vertigo. "It can't matter to you!" Don't really like it all that much.
  • WALL-E. The opening. 90s.
  • Warriors. mid 50s.
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Great acting movie, if I know what I mean. 65.
  • Wicker Man. Flawed, but mid 70s.
  • The Wild Bunch. A lot of movies like this already.
  • A Woman Under the Influence. 72.
  • Yes Madam. Really need to rewatch, but I'll say 99.
  • Yojimbo. Drop Rashomon. This is the shit.
Ok, so it needs to be trimmed and re-arranged, but I feel pretty good about this:
  1. Godfather
  2. His Girl Friday
  3. Goodfellas
  4. Kill Bill
  5. In the Mood for Love
  6. All That Jazz
  7. Lost in Translation
  8. Halloween
  9. Jackie Brown
  10. Manhattan
  11. Texas Chainsaw
  12. Carrie
  13. Deep Red
  14. Battle Royal
  15. Hard Boiled
  16. Double Indemnity
  17. Don't Look Now
  18. Gimme Shelter
  19. Godfather II
  20. Mandy
  21. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  22. Royal Tennenbaums
  23. My Best Friend's Wedding
  24. Annie Hall
  25. McCabe and Mrs. Miller*
  26. The Long Goodbye
  27. Eyes Wide Shut
  28. Days of Heaven
  29. Jules and Jim
  30. Jaws
  31. Shogun Assassin
  32. It's a Wonderful Life
  33. My Dinner with Andre
  34. Rear Window.
  35. The Big Lebowski
  36. Big Sleep
  37. Citizen Kane
  38. Dumbo
  39. Alice, Sweet Alice
  40. Elevator to the Gallows
  41. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  42. Third Man
  43. Almost Famous
  44. Out of Sight
  45. Philadelphia Story
  46. Psycho
  47. Freaks
  48. Hoop Dreams
  49. I Am a Fugitive...*
  50. Cleo from 5 to 7
  51. Singing in the Rain
  52. Meet Me in St. Louis
  53. Warriors
  54. Audition
  55. American Movie
  56. Enter the Dragon*
  57. Goodbye Dragon Inn
  58. 8 ½
  59. Fast Times and Ridgemont High*
  60. Love Witch*
  61. Female Convict Scorpion
  62. Heat
  63. King Kong
  64. Who's Afraid
  65. Heathers
  66. It Follows
  67. The Conversation*
  68. Night of the Hunter
  69. Yojimbo
  70. Blow Out
  71. A Woman Under the Influence.
  72. Wicker Man*
  73. Barry Lyndon*
  74. Chinatown
  75. Children of Men
  76. Taxi Driver
  77. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
  78. Night of the Living Dead
  79. Starship Troopers
  80. Bring Me the Head of Alfred Garcia
  81. Spinal Tap
  82. Amour
  83. Down by Law*
  84. Glengarry Glen Ross*
  85. Phantasm
  86. Strangers on a Train
  87. Rosemary's Baby
  88. Team America
  89. The Shining
  90. Hud*
  91. House of the Devil*
  92. WALL E*
  93. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  94. Yes Madam*
  95. Bride of Frankenstein
  96. Clueless*
  97. Snake Eyes
  98. Aguirre, Wrath of God
  99. Ms. 45
  100. Princess Bride

Blog Archive

Labels