Thursday, February 16, 2023

STL #129.1: Toward a New Top 100 Films (Process and Produce)

 Inspired by the latest installment of Sight and Sound's Greatest Movies of All Time list, I decided to take on the challenge for myself.  I tracked down my last top 100 films list from 20+ years ago, updated it until it bloated up to over 200 movies, and sat down to figure it out. Unfortunately, the dang thing is that an alphabetized list of my favorite 219 movies, which is not a lot of fun. My idea here is to work through that list and "process" it if you will (but you shouldn't put up with that). I will thus "produce" (ugh) a more manageable and ranked list.  This will take some time, but if you're reading this, then you've got time.

Ok, let's start at the beginning and see how this goes:

  • 2001: A Space Odyssey. The virtues of this film are obvious. Starting with the Dawn of Man is bold and brilliant and the edit between the bone flying up in the air and the space ship carries the whole meaning of the film. That's a grotesque overstatement, but I'll be shooting from the hip here. I don't feel any particular allegiance to it, but it is great. It would likely place in the top 100.
  • The 39 Steps. A good early thriller I'd watch again. I remember a lot of running around and a newspaper that arrives before the train. Would not place in the top 100 however.
  • 400 Blows. We'll see a lot of "heritage picks" from the list I made in 1999. This is one; I'm sure I found it powerful when I watched it but it is not in contention.
  • 8 ½. Memory will be a theme in these write ups. I don't recollect it in detail, and some of what I remember might actually be from a different Fellini. However, Mastrioni is the essence of cool and I'm a sucker for metadiscourse, so even with a shaky recollection I might put this in the top 50.
  • The 36th Chamber of Shaolin: My contention is that Hong Kong martial arts movies share a continuum with MGM musicals. The opening credits with Gordon Liu is a place to start. Top 100.
  • Across 110th Street: Another relic of the past. I watched it because I loved Jackie Brown and the idea of great art found in overlooked commercial trash (part of QT's basic thesis). I watched it again recently; it has its charms but is not in contention. 
  • Aguirre, Wrath of God. Similar to 2001, I admire this film a lot but don't feel particular loyalty to it. But Herzog should be in the Top 100, and this is a likely candidate.
  • Ali: Fear Eats the Soul: I liked this a lot after seeing it but it hasn't stuck with me. NC.
  • Alice, Sweet Alice: A recent discovery. A low budget historical that invents giallo in New Jersey. Top 50.
  • All About My Mother. Great, obviously, but Almodovar never really resonated with me. Potential Top 100. 
  • All That Jazz. I've mentioned movies that are clearly good but that I don't feel particular allegiance to. This is clearly good and it feels like it's "mine."  Top 10.
  • Almost Famous. A sentimental favorite. Maybe a bit creaky in places, but the "Tiny Dancer" scene is transcendent. Likely top 50.
  • Amateur. I really liked Hal Hartley in the 90s. He's more or less vanished from the discourse and the marketplace. I don't remember enough about this one to rank it. 
  • Amelie. Charming, and a strong rewatch might put it in contention, but not as of now. 
  • American Movie. Charming in a totally different way. I think of Mike Schenk almost every week. Easily belongs in the Top 100, maybe top 50
  • Amour. Strong reaction watching this in the theatre. In opening, people in a theatre take their seats, facing us. We don't know who the film is about yet or what will happen. Wonderful moment that leads to some pretty dour stuff. Likely Top 100.
  • Annie Hall. There's art, there's the artist, and there's the fact you just need the eggs. Potential Top 20.
  • The Apartment. I'm sure it's great, but also would need a strong rewatch. 
  • L’Atalante. A recent discovery. Great performance by Pere Jules, the old sailor, but not really in contention. 
  • Audition. There are things in this movie that I will never forget and that is why I will never watch it again. I've become more inured to horror since watching this, but I have to imagine it would still be disturbing. Likely top 50.

And so, like 8% through, here's a beginning list:
  1. All That Jazz (10)
  2. Annie Hall (20)
  3. Alice, Sweet Alice (50)
  4. Almost Famous
  5. 8 ½
  6. Audition
  7. American Movie
  8. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (100)
  9. Amour
  10. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  11. Aguirre, Wrath of God (maybe 100)
  12. All About My Mother

Not a bad set of movies, but at this rate it's too many. Let's keep going into the B's and see what happens.

  • Bad Lieutenant. I recall a tumultuous performance by Harvey K (he shoots the radio because the Mets loose, right?) and some other harrowing scenes. Again, it's been so long, but the impression remains strong enough to warrant Top 100 contention.
  • Badlands. I was a big Terrence Malick fan, but this is not as good as Days of Heaven. Beautiful with great lead performances, possible top 100.
  • Barry Lyndon. This comes to mind as a contender of objectively the best movie ever made. There's scene on the road in the woods where a leaf falls that will knock your socks off. Recommended if you like boring 3 hour movies, which, guess what... Certain Top 100. 
  • Battle Royale: My favorite action movie. Contender for Top 10. 
  • Bicycle Thief: I remember it a little better than 400 Blows, so it is a possible Top 100. I feel a rewatch could push it way up.
  • The Big Lebowski: Seen it so many times it doesn't even seem like a movie anymore. Not perfect, but top 50. 
  • The Big Sleep. Bogart and Bacall, of course, but the book store clerk... likely top 50.
  • Black Christmas. I really like Olivia Hussey in this. Probable Top 100.
  • Bleu. Haven't seen it in a long time. Probably very good, but for now NC
  • Blow Out. Great first scene, great fireworks. Certain Top 100
  • Blow Up. Liked it, but no. 
  • Breathless. Saw it fairly recently, and found last half frustrating and kind of boring. That would make it fall quite a bit to possible Top 100. 
  • A Brighter Summer Day. Hey, did somebody say boring 3 hours movies? This is kind of great, but NC.
  • Bonnie & Clyde. Certainly a great movie, but as it ages, it... ages. 
  • Bride of Frankenstein. Elsa Lanchester, an iconic performance. Probable Top 100.
  • Bride with White Hair. Loved it once upon a time. Possible Top 100. 
  • Bring me the Head of Alfred Garcia. A violent scene by the water. Warren Oates loses his ties. Certain Top 100.
  • Bringing Up Baby. Hilarious romp. Could get into top 100.
  • Broadway Melody of 1935. Busby Berkely I presume? Due for a rewatch. 

And so, 18% through it looks like this:

  1. All That Jazz (10)
  2. Battle Royal
  3. Annie Hall (20)
  4. The Big Lebowski
  5. Alice, Sweet Alice (50)
  6. Big Sleep
  7. Almost Famous
  8. 8 ½
  9. Audition
  10. American Movie
  11. Blow Out
  12. Barry Lyndon
  13. Black Christmas
  14. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (100)
  15. Bring Me the Head of Alfred Garcia
  16. Amour
  17. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  18. Bride of Frankenstein
  19. Bad Lieutenant
  20. Breathless
  21. Aguirre, Wrath of God (maybe 100)
  22. Bride with White Hair
  23. Bicycle Thief
  24. Bringing Up Baby
  25. Badlands
  26. All About My Mother
Still running over--proportionately would cut off after first Bride.

Here come the C's: 

  • Call Me By Your Name. Good, but NC
  • Carrie. Possible Top 20
  • Casablanca. Such a classic that it doesn't feel like it belongs to me the way some others do. Top 100, maybe.
  • Charley Varick. This one does belong to me, but not as good as Casablanca (not that it's at all similar). Don't think either would make in the end. 
  • Children of Men. Certain top 100.
  • Children of Paradise. Need to rewatch. NC
  • Chinatown. Certain Top 100.
  • Citizen Kane. Probably Top 50.
  • City Lights. Is this the skating backwards at the edge movie. That's a good scene, but no. 
  • Cleo from 5 to 7. Great management of space. And time. And mirrors. Top 100. 
  • Climax. Great opening
  • Clueless. I am currently trying to make fetch happen. Top 100
  • The Conversation. Better than Blow Out
  • Cries and Whispers. Can't remember enough about it.
  • Crimes and Misdemeanors. I do love this movie. Top 50. 

Here's a reshuffle based on internal comparisons. I added a where I feel some space opening up . Since I'm a quarter a way through, that more or less tracks. I should be keeping another list of necessary rewatches. 
  1. All That Jazz (10)
  2. Battle Royal
  3. Carrie
  4. Annie Hall (20)
  5. The Big Lebowski
  6. Crimes and Misdemeanors
  7. Big Sleep
  8. Citizen Kane
  9. Alice, Sweet Alice (50)
  10. Almost Famous
  11. Cleo from 5 to 7
  12. Audition
  13. American Movie
  14. 8 ½
  15. The Conversation
  16. Blow Out
  17. Barry Lyndon
  18. Chinatown
  19. Children of Men
  20. Black Christmas
  21. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (100)
  22. Bring Me the Head of Alfred Garcia
  23. Amour
  24. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  25. Bride of Frankenstein
  26. Clueless
  27. Aguirre, Wrath of God (maybe 100)
  28. Bad Lieutenant
  29. Breathless
  30. Bride with White Hair
  31. Bicycle Thief
  32. Bringing Up Baby
  33. Badlands
  34. All About My Mother
Gonna keep going into the D's and then break off for today:
  • Days of Heaven: Awakened an appreciation for the golden hour. Potential Top 20
  • Death of Stalin: Good and funny, but not really in contention
  • Deep Red: Riveting. Top 20.
  • Discrete Charm of the Bourgeouise. Would need a strong rewatch.
  • Drunken Master: It's enough to know that Jackie Chan loves us, sometimes. Probably should break off a choppy-socky list, but I think top 100.
  • Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde. No
  • La Dolce Vita. Is it this or 8 1/2?
  • Don't Look Now. Top 20
  • Double Indemnity. Top 20
  • Down by Law. Top 100
  • Drowning by Numbers. Good but no.
  • Drugstore Cowboy. Liked it when it came out. But I was an idiot then, so...
  • Duck Soup: Hail Freedonia. Possible Top 100.
  • Dumbo. This is the movie that makes me cry. Top 50
So another re-compilation, with a few annotations. 
  1. All That Jazz
  2. Battle Royal
  3. Carrie
  4. Deep Red
  5. Double Indemnity
  6. Don't Look Now
  7. Annie Hall. Maybe a little high--Manhattan is better
  8. Days of Heaven
  9. The Big Lebowski
  10. Crimes and Misdemeanors If I have director limits it would open things up
  11. Big Sleep
  12. Citizen Kane
  13. Dumbo
  14. Alice, Sweet Alice
  15. Almost Famous. Proportionate cut off for Top 50, which feels right.
  16. Cleo from 5 to 7 High?
  17. Audition
  18. American Movie
  19. La Dolce Vita Against director limits in general, but one Fellini feels ok
  20. 8 ½
  21. The Conversation
  22. Blow Out
  23. Barry Lyndon
  24. Chinatown
  25. Children of Men
  26. Black Christmas
  27. Drunken Master A lot of kung fu conflation in my head.
  28. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
  29. Bring Me the Head of Alfred Garcia
  30. Amour. This is the proportionate cut off for Top 100. Feels about right.
  31. Down by Law. Higher?
  32. 2001: A Space Odyssey Really should be top 100
  33. Bride of Frankenstein
  34. Clueless
  35. Aguirre, Wrath of God
  36. Duck Soup
  37. Bad Lieutenant
  38. Breathless
  39. Bride with White Hair
  40. Bicycle Thief
  41. Bringing Up Baby
  42. Badlands
  43. All About My Mother


Blog Archive

Labels